[va-richmond-general] Osprey at Dutch Gap

  • From: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audubon listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 19:58:56 -0500

On an Eagle Tour with Mike Ostrander today I saw an Osprey on the old James
River channel at Dutch Gap. Mike thinks it may be due to the warmwater
discharge from the power plant that the birds winter here. It keeps the
baitfish in good supply. The large number of ring-billed gulls are probably
there for that reason as well, although they are other places on the James as
well. I have seen Osprey there other winters too.