[va-richmond-general] Re: Northern Bobwhite + neighborhood notes, City of Richmond

  • From: <hoplerjrda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:13:11 -0400

Bobwhites are not migratory, but the disperse during the spring
mating/calling season. Often to areas with marginal habitat.

> I was surprised and pleased to hear a NORTHERN BOBWHITE this morning
from my
> back yard in the city of Richmond. It was not actually in the yard,
but some
> distance away. It called twice. Interestingly, about 2 or 3 years
ago I had
> one calling IN the yard about the this time of year! I'm about 5
blocks or
> so from James River Park, and Forest Hill park so there is some
marginal
> habitat. Is this species migratory in any way?
>
> Also been seeing COMMON NIGHTHAWKS for the past week (since 5/6).
Just ones,
> twos, and threes most evenings.
>
> Main Section of James River Park (42nd St. / Reedy Creek) has still
been
> producing migrants. BLACKPOLL Warbler numbers were good yesterday
(5/11)
> with some birds feeding low for good views. MAGNOLIA Warbler was
highlight
> today - nice singing male. Also female WOOD DUCK with 10 ducklings.
>
> That's all for now.
>
> Arun Bose
> Richmond, VA
>

> You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send
email to
> va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.)
please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.

David A. Hopler Jr.
Fisheries Biologist
Dept. of Biology/ Center for Environmental Studies
Virginia Commonwealth University
1000 West Cary St. Room 041
Richmond, VA 23284-2012
(804) 827-0236