[va-richmond-general] Norm Smith & Snowy Owls

  • From: John Everton <evertoncamp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 20:18:44 -0500

Hello Virginia Birders:

As a followup to Kathleen Kruetzer's fantastic NY Times story about MA Norm
Smith, I'd also like to share the below article that dates back to Mr. Smith's
work in 2011 -- and which raises serious "questions" about Snowy Owls and
long-held beliefs sometimes referred to as "the starvation theory of migration."

After reading the Natural History Magazine article about Mr. Smith early this
winter, and noticing numerous MA & RI posts from birders who were "extremely
anxious" that our lovely New England visitors were going to starve to death, I
wrote to Rachel Farrell, who among other things co-edits the Field Notes of RI
Birds and is the RI Sub-regional editor for the journal of North American Birds
and also serves on the Rhode Island Rare Birds Committee.

Ms. Farrell responded that she's been following Norm Smith's projects for years
and is quite familiar
with Mr. Smith's theory of why Snowy Owls irrupt. Ms. Farrell further noted
that while many birders are
becoming aware of Norm Smith's theory -- which she believes most
accurately explains these irruptions -- that most guide
books and online bird sites still use the old "starvation" theory. As I hoped,
Ms. Farrell graciously agree to distribute the article thru her "birding
network."

So I invite you to read and hopefully enjoy this article. It's my way of trying
to express "heartfelt" thanks for all the wonderful ways that Virginia Birders
have welcomed Dorian and myself in VA.

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/features/152144/messengers-from-the-arctic

Best wishes and Good Birding!

John Everton