[va-richmond-general] New Yard birds

  • From: Eackerma@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:48:58 EDT

Breakfast this morning brought a male and female Indigo Bunting to the tree
just past the deck - a new yard bird for us.  I thought I had seen an one
flying across Hermitage Road yesterday but it was there and gone.  Today the
male sat on a branch for a couple of minutes, followed by the female.

Two weeks ago we were visited by a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak for several
days and last Thursday a female was here for three days.  I haven't seen
either this week.  Too bad.  It would be wonderful if they were to nest here
and we could see little grosbeaks.

We also have four robin's eggs which should be hatching any day now if they
haven't already.  Mama was firmly settled in the nest yesterday evening but
she could be protecting hatchlings.

Ellen, northside Richmond