[va-richmond-general] New Kent Forestry Center event--Walk in the Forest, 4/4/09

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Listserv Posting Address'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:35:40 -0400

Many thanks to Lisa Deaton, Lynda Blair, Barbara Houston, members of
Richmond Audubon and Williamsburg Bird Club, Colonial Nature Photography
Club, members of the Historic Rivers and Riverine Va. Master Naturalist
chapters and others whose names I did not get for contributing to a
wonderful day of birding and learning about our Virginia forests.  It was my
first trip to NKFC and I really enjoyed it.  The highlight for me was the 10
hens and 1 tom turkey I flushed at the end of George Dean Hwy. while I was
quickly looking around at the habitat before the 7am start of the birding
trip.  I had never seen them fly and land high in a tree before, but I never
intended that I would be the only one to see them today (sorry!).  Rachel
Echols and I had to leave a little early, then I came back later, and
Shirley Devan also kept a list.  The total number of species from all lists
was 62.  The birds I and/or Rachel saw before we left were as follows, with
** indicating new species seen from 1pm to 4pm after I returned:

Canada goose

Wood duck

Wild turkey  11

DC cormorant

GB heron

Black vulture

Turkey vulture

Osprey

Bald eagle adult**

Northern harrier  2 flying north in am, one hunting a field near the highway
in the pm

Red shouldered hawk**

Red tailed hawk

American kestrel

Killdeer

Mourning dove

Belted kingfisher

Red bellied woodpecker

Downy WP

Hairy WP

Northern flicker

Pileated WP**

Eastern phoebe

Blue jay**

American crow

Fish crow**

Purple martin  a gorgeous male

Tree swallows

Carolina chickadee

Red breasted nuthatch**  heard on the guided nature trail, reviewed tapes

White breasted nuthatch**

Brown headed nuthatch   Rachel's bird right before she left

Brown creeper**  guided nature trail

Carolina wren

Ruby crowned kinglet**

Blue gray gnatcatcher

Eastern bluebird

Hermit thrush**

American robin

Brown thrasher

European starling

Yellow warbler

Yellow throated warbler**  up close and personal in the cypress swamp on the
guided nature trail

Pine warbler

Eastern towhee

Chipping sparrow

Field sparrow

Song sparrow

Swamp sparrow

White throated sparrow

Dark eyed junco

Northern cardinal

Red-winged blackbird

Eastern meadowlark   the most I have ever seen and heard in one place!

Rusty blackbird female**

Common grackle

Brown headed cowbird

House finch

American goldfinch

Barred owl pair   seen by some, but flushed and gone just like the turkeys

Shirley Devan's additional species before leaving at noon (from e-bird
report):

Sharp-shinned hawk

Common yellowthroat

Yellow bellied sapsucker

Sorry for the late post.  This property is restricted access.   Until a
regular field trip schedule can be developed, trips can be scheduled by
contacting Lisa Deaton @ 804-328-3031.  It is well worth the trip.  Have a
great day!

Jan

Richmond