[va-richmond-general] Mute Swan at Dutch Gap Conservation Area Update

  • From: Pamela Smith <psmith926@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:33:51 -0500

At 8:30 this morning I met Mike Wilson at the Wetlands at Dutch Gap
Conservation Area.  Mike and I have both successfully freed Canada Geese on
separate occasions and were ready to assist the Mute Swan wearing hip and
wading boots, had a net attached to a bamboo pole, nurse's scissors and
leather gloves.  The Mute Swan arrived around 10:30 am.  It accepted large
pieces of bread tentatively but kept at a distance of around 12 feet.  It
seemed to shy away when Mike raised the net on the pole but stayed in the
vicinity.  After more than an hour we both had to give up as the swan moved
further away from us.  It didn't appear to want to return for more bread or
popcorn.  The high winds at the Wetlands (40-50 MPH) didn't help, either.
We both observed the swan close up and agreed the fishing line is dug into
the skin but the swan is able to drink water and eat without problems.  A
line showing the monofiliment is easily seen from pictures.  I attach new
pix taken this morning where you can clearly see the fishing line at its
neck.  Larry Moody, a Dutch Gap regular visitor to the Wetlands, came by
around 1:00 pm and was able to get closer to the swan than Mike and I.  His
pic is also in the pictures showing how close you can get to the swan if
patient and you bring cracked corn.  I'm glad we did not spook the swan and
feel it is hesitantly trusting.  If a skilled person or persons approached
it carefully, with a net and safe scissors to cut the fishing line off, it
can be assisted.  I would suggest two people working together as Mike and I
did.

My new pictures are at the front of this album ~

https://picasaweb.google.com/psmith926/DutchGapWetlandsSwan?authkey=Gv1sRgCLHDvrObhJn-gAE&feat=directlink

Thank you to the folks who have provided suggestions and support.  I
did reach out to ARK, the Powhatan rehabbers, but they consider Mute Swans
non-Virginia birds and will not assist.  Mark Battista of Dutch Gap
Conservation Area Naturalist warns that swans can be fierce if they feel
threatened.  He has contacted his sources in the Hopewell area for
assistance.

Pamela Smith