[va-richmond-general] Re: Mute Swan at Dutch Gap Conservation Area

  • From: Diane Jadlowski <djadski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nancym.ambler@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:54:01 -0500

Check out this website on how you can become a sponsor/partner with DGIF to recycle fishing line and keep it off the shores of our beautiful rivers, lakes and ponds.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/fishing-line-recycling/

Where these tubes to collect fishing line are set up they have signs alerting fisherman to the danger of fishing line left behind. I have seen them at Amelia Wildlife Management Area by the boat ramp. Although they were overflowing with line and it was blowing out of the containers. A lot of the containers are installed by DGIF but others are from Fishing clubs, including high schoolers.

I think the "No littering" regulation would cover the discarding of line along the shores. You would have to ask a DGIF about that. But there are only so many Conservation Officers and they have an enormous area to cover and can't watch every fisherman. I would think it would be up to volunteers, citizen scientists, i.e. Master Naturalist, James River Foundation, Friends of James River, etc to help monitor the cleanup of these areas. So if you would like to volunteer or get your organization involved look at the above website and call DGIF (804) 367-1292.

Thanks
Diane Jadlowski
Publicity Chair
Richmond Audubon Society

On 2/18/2011 1:34 PM, Nancy Ambler wrote:
Horrors! I am trusting someone with physical know-how and resources greater than mine will assist this beautiful, helpless bird and possibly, if necessary, get it to the Wildlife Center in Waynesboro. This situation raises a related issue: Does anyone know if 1) there currently are signs posted warning those fishing at/using state/federal boat ramps to launch boats from which they fish that fishing line tossed overboard is a potential killer and 2) if such signs are posted, are fines imposed on those who violate any state/federal laws prohibiting such discarding of such line and 3) if there are no such laws and/or signs might we who love birds and other creatures threatened by such line work to regulate the indiscriminate discarding of line?
Thanks to anyone who can provide information on point-
Nancy Ambler