[va-richmond-general] Migration around Richmond

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:22:36 +0000

Just a few notes about spring migration around Richmond. If anyone has news to
add, please pipe up!

This morning in my yard I had singing Northern Parula, Black-throated Blue
Warbler, Redstart, Blackpoll Warbler, and Acadian Flycatcher. (Stony Point area)

Swainson's Thrushes have been seen/heard at both Bandy Field and the 42nd
Street section of James River park in the past couple of days.

I had a few free minutes yesterday afternoon and swung by 42nd Street. Before
the rain descended, I was surprised to find a Willow Flycatcher singing near
the base of the stairs.

Last weekend after the Saturday RAS walk at 42nd Street, I headed down to Dutch
Gap with Kirk Andrews, where we found a Warbling Vireo on the trail behind the
Visitor Center. I also caught a brief flight of a Least Bittern from the second
observation platform over the marsh.

I feel like I haven't seen as many tanagers and grosbeaks this year as in past
years, but I also haven't had as much time to get out as in some past years.
The only Prothonotary Warbler I have seen/heard within the city this year was
at the Pipeline Walk.

Good birding,

Lewis

--
Lewis Barnett
Dept. of Math and CS, University of Richmond