[va-richmond-general] Middle Peninsula/ Charles City Shorebirds, 9/5

  • From: Ellison Orcutt <mr.ellyo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 22:27:07 -0400

Hello birders,

Arun Bose and I bounced around several favorite birding spots today
(Saturday). It's quite evident from our sitings and other reports around
the state that the "upland" shorebirds are in good supply across the state.

At Woodbury Turf Farm in King William a Juv. BAIRD'S SANDPIPER and a Juv.
American GOLDEN-PLOVER were most notable.
List (and photo): http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24894321

At Bethel Beach Natural Area Preserve in Mathews County a Juv.
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER was foraging on the upper beach. A nice surprise.
List (and photo): http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24896252

In Charles City County we visited several turf farms among other
locations. At two farms BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS were present, a pair (2)
at one site and six(6) at another.

Respectful birding is a must at the turf farms (like everywhere else).
Stay on public roads and offer lots of waves and smiles.

Good birding,

Ellison

--
Ellison Orcutt