[va-richmond-general] Message From RAS Website Link

  • From: Joe Lively <joelively@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 23:15:03 -0400

Whip-poor-wills have been regular contributors to Eden's Symphony around my
home in the Jetersvile area (near Farmville). While some may consider their
repetitive calls a nuisance, the sound has been soothing to me, since
childhood. The calls have the same effect as a mother's lullaby. They were
first noted during the 2nd week of April, about 3 weeks later than usual.

Something has been different today,  a late spring fallout?. Migrants suddenly
appeared that have been noticeably absent before. Flute-like notes of a Wood
thrush were heard early. Two male Scarlet tanagers, a Red headed woodpecker,
Red and White-eyed vireos and yes, warblers visited the mulberry tree outside
my bedroom window today.  Two Brown thrashers, one Ovenbird and a male Common
Yellowthroat hunted insects in Abelia bushes. Wild turkeys performed their
spring "love dance" right outside my bedroom window. You could actually feel
the low frequency humming and wing stridulations. Two highlights to end this
day:  Soft calls of a Barred Owl outside my window and the hauntingly beautiful
notes of a Chuck-will's-widow from the woods edge. The Chuck is almost two
months late.
Joe Lively  You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send
email to