[va-richmond-general] Merchant's Mill Pond-NC, 21 May 2006

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 23:39:07 +0000

A Parula or a Prothonotary in every tree, a long, unobstructed  look at a
cruising Alligator and only 2 men overboard made for another great day for our
3rd annual May paddle to Merchant's Mill Pond in Gatesville, NC.

7 paddlers hit the water about 8:45. We logged 45 species of birds with the
first sighting being a nice flyover of an Anhinga. The Parulas and
Prothonotary's were often at  eye level and bird song was heard all day long.
The water was beautiful and the trees dripping in Spanish Moss were just
incredible. A carpet of blooming  Lily pads and Feather foil covered much of
the water.  Sunny skies. gentle breezes and a wonderful look at a circling
Alligator made for a perfect day.

Highlights:

Anhinga
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk
Wild Turkey (en route)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Barred Owl
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Acadian Flycatcher
Great-Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
Northern Parula
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Brown-headed Nuthatch
...and many more.

Thanks to a really fun bunch that turned out very early for some un-parula-ed
fun.

Julie K.
Chester