[va-richmond-general] Merchant's Mill Pond-May 29

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 00:41:54 +0000

Best Memorial Day weekend I can remember in a long time. Merchant's Mill Pond
was spectacular this morning as 5 of us paddled thru lily pads, duckweed and
the mystical paths of cypress and gum cloaked in Spanish Moss to tally about 47
species. Fish were biting but mosquitos definitley were not. The weather was
perfect and we were all treated to a very unexpected sighting: an Anhinga!
Other Highlights:

Barred Owl
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Osprey
Wood Duck
Red-shouldered Hawk
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
Northern Parula
Yellow-throated warbler
Prothonotary warbler
Ovenbird
Hooded warbler
Summer Tanager
Orchard Oriole

Most warblers were at eye level and gave long vocal and visual displays. Many
birds were feeding young-most notably the Carolina Chickadees which seemed to
enjoy pulling insects (?) off the moss.

Super Day!!
Julie K.
Chester