[va-richmond-general] Merchant's Mill Pond -Saturday 25 November

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:33:01 +0000

Impromptu trips seem to be the best. So was the case when we decided to head to
MMP in Gatesville, NC yesterday morning. The sky was clear blue and the water
level way up-so far up the walk-ways were submerged. Tried a totally new route
into Lassiter Swamp which proved to be spectacular. We saw a large buck run run
into the pond and back into the woods just as a turkey left a daytime roost in
a Cypress. Two "leaping" beavers splashed into the water and Canada Geese
honked along most of the day. The moss was spectacular and many trees boasted
Spanish moss, Resurrection fern and mistletoe. Many stands of Beauty Berry were
seen along the way.  Most birds were heard and not seen-the whole day was
absolutely beautiful. Here's a few birds that I recall:

Winter wren-in full song
Ring-necked Duck
Hooded Merganser
Mallard
Wood duck
Eastern Phoebe
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Flicker
Downy
Hairy
Pileated
Yellow-bellied sapsucker
and all the tufted, carolina, white-breasted woodland birds you would expect.

JulieK
Chester

JPEG image

JPEG image