[va-richmond-general] MIgration abounds in Powhatan 15 Oct 2011

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:18:51 +0000 (UTC)

Our local banding group led by Master Bander Bob Reilly did a banding program for the Powhatan Master Naturalist's class yesterday. The weather could not have been any better and a very large turn-out. Lots of birds flitting in the canopy and happily many birds landed in our nets. The students were able to see many migratory species all with different levels of fat stores. A great comparison came with the netting of male and female Black-throated Blue warblers. We actually caught as many BTBW's as Cardinals! We also netted 3 different species of Thrush to give the group a great banding experience.

The list of birds netted follows as well as a few images of the day.

Thanks to all those pre-dawn riser's who came out to help with this demonstration,

Julie Kacmarcik

Northern Cardinal

Grey-cheeked Thrush

Wood Thrush

Swainson's Thrush

Blue Jay

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler (at least 4)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

White-throated Sparrow-recap

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Downy Woodpecker