[va-richmond-general] MAPS' Dutch Gap Season Finale 1 August 2009

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:55:29 +0000 (UTC)

Hard to believe the MAPS' season at Dutch Gap is over. We opened up at 530 am yesterday with 76 degree temps and a sauna-like atmosphere. The birds seemed to spend most of their time in the canopy-maybe there was a breeze up there. We did get a couple surprises in the nets. Had our usual top visitors---NOCA, CARW and PROW. Netting many dispersing Prothonotary nestlings. Next week we will wrap up in Powhatan.

There will be 2 Banding demo's at Dutch Gap Sept. 12 and Oct. 3 for all interested-watch the Richmond Audubon website http://www.richmondaudubon.org/ThrasherMain.html or Chesterfield Parks and Rec. for registration details http://www.chesterfield.gov/content2.aspx?id=3134&ekmensel=c580fa7b_252_262_3134_2

Here's the recap of our caps yesterday. Our total was 16.

Carolina Wren 4 (2 recaps)

Northern Cardinal 5 (4 recaps)

Grey Catbird 1

Northern Waterthrush 1

American Redstart 1

Prothonotary warbler 4 (3 recaps)

Thanks to all the MAPS' folks for their never-ending committment. Will post our season tally when I get it compiled.

Hope to see you at one of our demo's. Here's a few images of yesterday's stars.

Julie Kacmarcik

Chester