[va-richmond-general] Re: Loons in Hanover

  • From: "Robert Coles" <rcoles@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:07:29 -0400

Around 6AM Sunday morning (4/9/06) as I was drinking my first cup of coffee
and starting to read the paper I heard the call. At first, I believed Gena
might have turned on a nature program, but see was sound asleep. I opened
the patio door and heard the call again, this time I saw birds swimming on
the lake. After making a quick but careful trip down to the water, I spotted
four Common Loons in good breeding plumage. There was not enough light to
get any photos and they flew off when the Canada Geese took flight. We have
perversely recorded loons here on 4/19/2000 and 4/13/2003. So it is possible
that they are here annually during migration. It was great way to start the
day.  Latter that morning we photographed the nesting Great Horned Owls in
Bryan Park.

Bob Coles
Montpelier, VA

rcoles@xxxxxxx