[va-richmond-general] Loon and other Bryan Park birds

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"VA Bird listserv" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:28:41 -0400

    The Common Loon hanging out at Bryan Park, Richmond, was still there this
evening. I was there from around 7pm - 8pm. It seems to prefer the end of the
pond closer to the retaining wall, though I did watch it go to the lily pads
once. It doesn't seem to be phased by anything or anyone. Some of the geese
noisily flew right by it and it didn't budge.
    I also saw the Pied-billed Grebe reported by someone else. It was among the
lily pads, across the pond from the trail. I didn't see the Osprey but I didn't
think to look for it.

Other birds of note in that area of the park:

Wood Duck (male) - 1
Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers - 1 each (heard
Northern Cardinal - 3
Eastern Bluebird - 1 or 2
Eastern Towhee (heard)
Barn Swallows - several
Mallards - a couple
probable Red-winged Blackbirds - among the lily pads and cattails. I didn't
observe them carefully enough to see if they were Red-wings or Grackles, but
they were where the Red-wings usually hang out. Two rival males were chasing
each other.

I also saw about a half dozen bats as I was leaving the parking area.

Michael Shapiro
northside Henrico