[va-richmond-general] Re: Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens 1 October 2008

  • From: WEalding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Richmond Birds" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:38:59 -0400

I still have a scrawny (probably immature) Ruby-throated Hummingbird at my
feeder this afternoon.  Last year's last date at this location was October 4.

Wendy Ealding
Powhatan County

In a message dated 10/02/08 10:38:55 Eastern Daylight Time,
warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Julie,

The angle makes it hard to say for sure, but it looks a little like a female
Rufous, with the rufous color on the shoulder and the white breast. The bill is
about right too. It might be a juvenile female  that has just started to
develop the central red spot on the throat. The tail looks right too. But it is
not really a sure bet. I can't explain the dark area on the head. That makes it
look more like a Ruby-throat. But that doesn't seem to jive with the rufous
shoulder.

Still confusing!

We have had 3 hummers around our feeders lately, including a juvenile male and
a couple of females. Saw one today, October 2nd.

Al Warfield