[va-richmond-general] Leucous Junco?

  • From: Bob Schamerhorn <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "FreeList.org" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "FreeList.org" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:02:19 -0500

Posted from Glen Allen, VA (north-west Richmond):

Yesterday afternoon around 3:00 PM I noticed a strange looking bird at my backyard feeder. I grabbed my camera and took a few quick pics ID through the window. It seems to be a Leucous Junco but there was no evidence of outer white tail feathers that I could see and the crown seemed to distinctly different from its cheek. It had darker coloring on its upper breast and less below like a Junco though (see photo 2). Please send any thoughts on what this might be.

        The 2 photos are at:
http://www.iphotobirds.com/LeucousBird1.html

I also had two Great Horned Owls hooting in the field behind my property yesterday evening.

Happy Birding!
Thanks in Advance,
Bob Schamerhorn
See the "Picture of the Week" (New every Monday)
Web Site: http://iphotobirds.com
E-mail: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx