[va-richmond-general] Last night's meeting

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'FreeList.org'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:01:33 -0400

Last night's meeting (2008 March 20 - Maundy Thursday) was good. I felt I
learned something about penguins and other wildlife in the Antarctic. But
the meeting still lacked something. There was no pre-meeting dinner, and we
had to cut business and bird reporting out. There was much less time for
socializing. The cause is Easter Sunday, the earliest that it will ever be
in our lifetimes. That caused Maundy Thursday to collide with our meeting.

This will happen whenever Easter is March 22, 23, or 24 or between April 18
and April 24 (but not April 25). I looked at a calendar and found that
Easter is April 24 in 2011, April 20 in 2014, and April 21 in 2019. It seems
to me that we need to set a policy as to what we do in years like these. I
think we should set the date of the meeting on the 4 th Thursday of April
(next time March would be involved is not until after 2100) whenever this
happens. I don't know if St Luke's Lutheran has events that night or not,
and maybe we can't reserve the place on that date until 2010, but we should
be thinking about it.

Jim Blowers