[va-richmond-general] Re: Killdeer fledglings

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:23:57 EDT

I've been watching this story, and I work in a (single story) building  where
Killdeer have nested in the past, and I wondered how the babies got  down.  I
ended up concluding that they do jump.  There is a species of  goose
(?Barnacle maybe) that nests on cliff tops and the babies jump and bounce
their way
down to the sea.  It was featured on a TV program (Discovery  channel or
Nature, I can't remember which).  You would not think that they  survive such a
fall
but they do.

Wendy Ealding