[va-richmond-general] James River Park, main section, 10/12/09

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:39:49 -0400

I spent a couple of hours at the Main Section of James River Park this morning. The river is quite low, making this an excellent opportunity for rock hopping. In spite of the overcast, there was a good bit of activity. Most active were a middling sized flock of Robins that kept up a pretty good ruckus most of the time I was there. Highlights for me were my first-of-season Brown Creeper, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and Yellow-rumped Warbler, as well as hearing two short burst of song from a Veery. There was also an overflight from one of the Peregrine Falcons near Reedy Creek. The bridge over the creek was the prime spot, which fairly steady activity from the Yellow-rumps and Robins. I also found a lingering Common Yellowthroat, a Phoebe, a Song Sparrow, a Catbird, and a few other locals along this stretch, and this is where I heard the Veery and saw the Sapsucker as well. Complete list from eBird is below.

--
Lewis Barnett
Location:     James River Park - Main Section

Canada Goose     2
Mallard     16
Double-crested Cormorant     3
Great Blue Heron     1