[va-richmond-general] James River Park Wetlands in Richmond; American Bittern

  • From: "Rachel Echols" <rlechols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:45:36 -0400

Sorry for the late post.I visited the wetlands at James River Park on
Friday.  Thanks to Joyce Bathke for spotting the American Bittern after
about 3 hours of searching.  What a magnificent bird.I was able to watch him
hunt for about 30 minutes, from quite a distance.  Here's a link to a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlechols/3397853069/

Also seen in the park was a perched barred owl.  What a treat!

Rachel Echols

Chester, VA