[va-richmond-general] Re: James River Park, Landria Street entrance

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 22:18:49 -0400

That brings to me memories of my childhood, especially my teen years.
During those long Rochester summer evenings (sun until nearly 9), I
would hear this "bearp" sound, and see these birds flying around in
circles. After some hunting around in bird books back in the early
1960s, I identified these birds as nighthawks. Every once in a while
these birds would dive down, presumably to round up an insect. They are
from the same family as whip-poor-wills, but nighthawks are often seen,
but whip-poor-wills are almost never seen. These birds are also called
goatsuckers, nightjars, and caprimulgids (the last is Latin for
goatsucker).

I'm glad to hear that they are flying anound here.

Jim Blowers