[va-richmond-general] James River Park - 42nd Street today

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 15:07:22 -0400

(To add to Gerry's earlier post...)

It was a perfect morning for birding in Richmond, as evidenced by a large concentration of birders found at the 42nd Street section of James River Park. Collectively, the group reported about 15 species of warblers at 42nd Street and Pony Pasture, as well as a good number of other migrants. My highlights were Blue-winged, Cape May, Magnolia and Blackpoll Warblers, a tree full of three male and one female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a first-of-season (for me) Orchard Oriole pair, and an extremely cooperative Red-shouldered Hawk at Pony Pasture that posed calmly on two different exposed perches very close to the trail for about 10 minutes. In addition to birds in my complete list (see below), others reported Black-throated Green, Yellow and Chestnut-sided Warblers and a Veery at 42nd Street and Wilson's Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler and Northern Waterthrush at Pony Pasture.

My complete list:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Cooper's Hawk
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-winged Warbler
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Prothonotary Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
American Goldfinch

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://www.ebird.org)
--
Lewis Barnett -- Chair, Dept. of Math & CS, U. of Richmond, VA 23173
              -- lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx | lbarnett@xxxxxxx