[va-richmond-general] James R. Park, 42nd Street - 4/29/07

  • From: "Lewis Barnett" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:26:14 -0400 (EDT)

After a bit of a slow start, it turned into a very birdy morning at the
42nd Street area of James River Park today. There were very nice looks at
two male Scarlet Tanagers foraging in the same tree as well as pretty good
looks at three different Blue-winged Warblers. A singing Veery also let us
get a very brief look at it before disappearing into the underbrush. There
were what seemed like an unusually large number of Gray Catbirds about.
Comic relief was provided by a Canada Goose imitating a Wood Duck,
perching 30 feet above the river in a dead tree. As I was walking back to
the tower on my way out of the park, I had brief but clear looks at a
Northern Waterthrush and an Ovenbird within about 50 feet of each other.
In all, I saw or heard 11 warbler species, listed below,  and had reports
of Black-throated Green and Worm-eating in addition.

I love this time of year...

--
Lewis Barnett
Math & Comp Sci, University of Richmond, VA 23173

Location:     James River Park - Main Section
Observation date:     4/29/07
Number of species:     54

Canada Goose     3
Mallard     3