[va-richmond-general] Re: Irruption year?

  • From: Naseem Reza <nreza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:50:32 -0500

Dear Lewis:

Thank for the alert on the Snowy Owl.

Last Saturday, December 3, I was at the Dutch Gap Conservation Area and saw
3 American Kestrels. A female Kestrel was on the fence along with many
Eastern Bluebirds and one Eastern Phoebe which made several passes at the
Kestrel. A male and a female Kestrel were also seen on the power line
across the road from the viewing platforms (before you get to the visitor
center). All three Kestrels were very wary and would not let me get close
enough to get a decent photograph. A long distance shot of the female
Kestrel and the Phoebe is attached.

I will be on the lookout for the Red-breasted Nuthatch. I have seen them at
my feeders in previous years.

Naseem Reza