[va-richmond-general] Interesting Red-headed Woodpecker behavior

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:58:01 EST

We have an immature Red-headed Woodpecker resident in our yard  for the past
few months.  Recently we have noticed it working on what  appeared to be a
nest hole in the limb of a sweet gum.  The hole is now big  enough for the bird
to get its whole body inside.  Today we have seen it go  inside the hole
repeatedly.  On closer inspection it is going in and  retrieving acorns one at
time and transferring them to a smaller hole a little  further down the same
limb.

Our previous experience of Red-headed Woodpecker granaries was  also an
immature bird, at a different location, which stored the acorns in a  similar
fashion to the Acorn Woodpecker, by making individual small holes and  putting
an
acorn in each.

Wendy Ealding
Powhatan  County