[va-richmond-general] Injured baby Mallard

  • From: "Freise, Kathy" <freisek1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:26:44 -0400

There is an orphan juvenile mallard at the pond behind the Stony Point
Office Park.  We have noticed that he/she has been limping for the last
week or so.  This morning we were throwing out some corn, and got a good
look at his feet.  He can't put one down, and it looks as if there might
be fishing wire or something wrapped around this leg.

We are thinking that maybe we could catch him and try to cut it off, but
are not sure how to proceed.  We don't want to injure him more than he
might already be.  He comes when we throw out corn, but heads for the
water if we try to get too close.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could proceed?  Or does
anyone know of a wildlife rehabilitator in the area who might be willing
to help.

Thanks in advance

Kathy Freise
Freisek1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx