[va-richmond-general] Hummingsquirrel

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:24:48 -0400

We had something unusual happen today. A squirrel tried to drink the nectar
in our hummingbird feeder.  The feeder was an upside-down bottle with 4 red
florets with yellow bee guards on it, hanging from an ant trap hanging from
a metal hook on a post. The squirrel got down onto the feeder and started
gurgling it up. I didn't know that squirrels liked hummingbird nectar. I
thought they were more interested in corn, bird seed, and suet. Squirrels
were eating the suet, so we replaced it with hot pepper suet. I wonder if it
got a bite of that hot pepper suet and was trying to cool its mouth down
immediately. I did not have a camera handy.

Jim Blowers