[va-richmond-general] Hummingbird! RE: [va-richmond-general][subject changed]

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:52:03 -0400

We saw our first hummingbird today. At about 2005 June 6 1340 in our
back yard, a female ruby-throated hummingbird flew near the feeder; she
did not seem to go into the plastic flowers to get the hummingbird food
out. She flew around the feeder, then flew away. We have yet to see (in
any year) a male hummingbird at our feeder.

The feeder we now use has four bright red plastic flowers, with yellow
beeguards on them. I have put two bee guards on, and left two off. It
does not look like the hummingbird can get the food through the bee
guard, but I want to keep the bees away, so therefore my mixed strategy.

But we did see one today.

Jim Blowers