[va-richmond-general] Hummingbird

  • From: "Nelda Snyder" <snyderfolks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "va-richmond-general" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:07:09 -0400

I held a hummingbird on my hand today for 21 minutes!  I had glanced out the
door and was sickened to see a hummer lying on the porch floor.  She was
breathing so I "righted" her and she clung to my finger--surprisingly.  After a
few minutes of staying very still (while my crouched legs and feet fell
asleep), I moved a bit to sit, and she fluttered her wings slightly and moved
to the other side of my palm.  And we sat--and sat--and sat while the other
female visited the feeder a few feet away.  I turned my hand a bit so she could
see the luscious fuchsia plant and the feeder above it.  Still we sat.  Time
stood still while I studied her beautiful feathers from my overhead
position--tiny feathers over her eyes looked like eyelashes, the tiny white
feathers at the back corners of her eyes, the pattern of green and charcoal
feather clumps running back from her beak up over her head almost looked like
she'd had a "cornrow" hairdo.  Finally, this special occasion came to a happy e
 nd when she took off on a steady and determined flight across the yard into
the tall trees.  No Memorial Day service for her.  Nature is good.

Nelda

Nelda Snyder
snyderfolks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx