[va-richmond-general] Hummers still here!

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audubon listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:00:49 -0400

For the last several days we have had 2 different Rubythroats at our feeders.
One is a female with a very long bill, green back and white breast. The other
is very gray and stocky with a bill about half the length of the other. It may
be a juvenile male but I can’t see any trace of a gorget coming in so it’s
probably a female. Anyway, the gray hummer was feeding this morning and we
noticed that one wing was hanging down low and the bird was shaking. She fed
for a pretty long time before flying into a nearby tree. It makes me wonder how
these birds are going to make it if they stay much longer. I haven’t seen her
again today – maybe later unless she decided to head south. Time will tell.