[va-richmond-general] Huge flocks of birds

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:43:27 -0500

For some time this winter I have been noticing a huge flock of grackles
flying around the Chester area. They probably number about 1,000 birds. When
they approach, you hear a loud grackling noise outdoors. If they fly to my
house, they usually stay in the trees, but once or twice they have flown
down near my feeder, coating my yard with wall to wall grackles. Has anyone
else noticed these grackles?

Also I notice a large flock of robins in my front yard feeding on the fruit
of a pear tree. I would estimate this flock to be about 25 birds. Has anyone
noticed these robins?

Jim Blowers