[va-richmond-general] Horned Grebes at Crewes Channel

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Audubon Listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:54:10 -0500

Linda & I saw a (male & female) Horned Grebe pair in the marsh at Crewes
Channel this morning. If you go there to look, they were about 100 yards from
the point where the runoff goes under the road (Willis Rd, highwy 186) in a
grassy area slightly to the right of a line perpendicular to the road. It is an
area near the open water and there are light grasses there - not heavy like
there are behind that. The birds stayed in the same place for the 10 minutes we
observed them. The eye of the male is bright red, and the backs are slate gray
with mottled gray streaks on the sides and rump. The top of the head is black
down to the eye, and there is a slight peak at the back of the head. The throat
is white, and the area from the short, light colored bill to the back of the
head and down to the lower neck is bright white. See Page 27 in Sibleys.
If you do go there, please report if you see the birds again.

Al & Linda Warfield