[va-richmond-general] Hopewell CBC final results

  • From: <arun.bose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, VA Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:54:13 -0500

The 70th Hopewell Christmas Bird Count was held on December 14 2008. We had
good weather on this day with temperatures ranging between 29F - 51F, SW
winds rarely above 10 mph, and clear to partly cloudy skies. A total 30,738
individual birds of 114 species were recorded. A good species total despite
no data from 3 sectors.

Species "missed" included Northern Bobwhite, Gray Catbird, and Black & White
Warbler. The latter was present in the weeks leading up to the count and was
seen after the count week.

These were counted by 36 participants including our youngest (ever?) at 11
months! On behalf of Richmond Audubon Society I'd like to thank all who
participated; you made it a great count. Also thanks go to the many property
owners who gave us access to their land, and for the logistical support
provided by Cyrus Brame of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Mark
Batista of Chesterfield County, Parks & Recreation.

Highlights included
Ross's Goose - 2
Cackling Goose - 6
Tundra Swan - 1

15 species of duck
Wood Duck - 1 (very low)
Gadwall - 235
American Wigeon - 44
American Black Duck - 6 (low)
Mallard - 163
Northern Shoveler - 142
Northern Pintail - 3
American Green-winged Teal - 56
Canvasback - 5
Ring-necked Duck - 479
Lesser Scaup - 209 (new high count; previously - 42 in 1991)
Bufflehead - 164
Hooded Merganser - 78
Common Merganser - 25
Ruddy Duck - 134

Common Loon 1
Great Egret 1

7 species of gull
Laughing Gull - 868
Bonaparte's Gull - 3
Ring-billed Gull - 12401
Herring Gull - 2149 (new high count, previously - 638 in 1998)
Glaucous Gull - 1 (new for count),
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 2 (3rd time recorded on the count, and new high
count, single birds 1987, 2001 and count week 2007)
Great Black-backed Gull - 20

9 species of hawk
Osprey - 1
Bald Eagle - 68
Northern Harrier - 10
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 5
Cooper's Hawk - 3
Red-shouldered Hawk - 11
Red-tailed Hawk - 22
American Kestrel - 15
Peregrine Falcon - 2

7 species of woodpecker including 28 Red-headed Woodpecker

Eastern Phoebe - 32 (new high count; previously - 31 in 1993)
House Wren - 5
Hermit Thrush 51 (good number; High Count 56 in 1998)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 3

6 Species of Wood Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler - 3 (= High Count 3 in 1955)
Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler -154
Pine Warbler - 1
Palm Warbler - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 3
Wilson's Warbler - 1 male (2nd for count)

9 species of Sparrow not including towhee and junco
American Tree Sparrow - 1
Chipping Sparrow - 1
Field Sparrow - 102 (good number with 50 from the Rice Center)
Savannah Sparrow - 8
Fox Sparrow - 2
Song Sparrow - 236
Swamp Sparrow - 51