[va-richmond-general] Re: Hope for bird window-collisons

  • From: "Nelda Snyder" <snyderfolks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:57:16 -0500

Or move your feeders closer!  Ours hang a few inches from the windows, with
some deck rail open feeders about 5' from the windows.  We have only occasional
collisions, most of which the birds recover after resting.  (If I hear a thud,
I go out and pick up the bird and make sure it is sitting upright and put it in
a sheltered basket which protects it from sight of other birds and gives it a
warmer place to rest and recover.  In 30 minutes or less the bird flies off.)
Most of our thuds are from doves who fly off without harm regardless of the
intensity of the thud or the number of feathers flying.  Since all of our
"windows" are sliding doors, we also leave the screen sliders half open to
break up the expanses of glass.  (Good for the birds but not for the views!)

Nelda