[va-richmond-general] Highlights from 1.5 days of birding... including Nashville Warbler, Palm Warblers, Brown-headed Nuthatch and a ton of Shorebirds

  • From: David Bryan <dbryan.audubon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:41:33 -0400

Hello all,

I finally got to enjoy some good fall birding with recent trips to the James
River Park - 42nd Street, Chippokes Plantation State Park and Hog Island WMA
(the latter with Nick Flanders and Elisa Enders of CHAS/HRBC). I haven't
finalized my counting yet, but I believe there were 12 or 13 life species
here. Yeah!

Highlights:

James River Park - 30 species - Included Veery, Red-eyed Vireos, White-eyed
Vireos (juv and adult), American Redstarts (1 male, two yellowstarts), and
to top it off a life-list first fall (likely female)* Nashville Warbler*.
Thanks to Arun Bose for helping me figure that not-so-easy ID out.

Chippokes Plantation State Park - 27 species - Included Palm Warblers,
Yellow-throated Warbler, Pine Warbler, White-eyed Vireos (juv and adult) and
Eastern Meadowlarks.

Hog Island WMA > 33 species - Included Brown-headed Nuthatch, Summer
Tanager, Short-billed Dowitcher, Least Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper,
Semipalpated Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Buff-breasted
Sandpiper, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalpated Plover, Green-winged Teal.
Thanks to Nick and Elisa for the Sandpiper IDs while I became thoroughly
confused :)

Hope everyone is well. Get out and enjoy the fall!

-David Bryan, Chesterfield