[va-richmond-general] Re: Highland County

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:26:46 -0400

I went to a global warming conference yesterday at the First Unitarian
Universalist Church of Richmond.

The people from the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (
http://www.chesapeakeclimate.org/ ) showed how wind energy can help
prevent global warming, which threatens the future of the world. They
want to build wind farms not only in Highland County but in other
places, gradually replacing polluting coal power plants. They said the
damage to birds would be minimal - about 4 birds per turbine per year,
and that failure to follow procedures (such as not having lights on near
the turbines) causes most of these. They even said that more birds would
be saved than killed through building wind farms, since every wind farm
that is built means one less mountaintop torn down, and bird habitats
destroyed, for the coal inside.

There is also the threat of peak oil, which threatens high prices for
gasoline, and a lot more than that. It could even cause famines, since
much of our food supply depends on oil. See http://www.oilcrisis.com for
more details. Some geologists, such as Kenneth Deffeyes, say that the
peak could come as early as this Thanksgiving, and then after that a
decline in production. If wind farms were built, then existing coal from
existing mines could be converted into oil instead of burnt for
electricity, and that would delay the effects of peak oil, as well as
save bird habitats.

To me, the twin threats of peak oil and global warming need to be dealt
with soon. Oil could peak on 2005 November 24, and experts say that
unless we stop the global warming, irreparable damage may be done to the
environment. Therefore, I feel the wind turbines should be built. It is
renewable energy, it is the wave of the future, and it may help us avert
these two catastrophes.

Jim Blowers