[va-richmond-general] Re: Highland County

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:45:02 -0400

Did anyone look at the cartoon on the editoral page of this morning's
(2005 June 1) Times-Dispatch? It's on the bottom right page.

OK, how about some bird events.

The biggest bird event for me is tracking down a whip-poor-will. I took
a walk about 1/2 mile west from my home into a new development where the
developiots are chopping down trees like there is no tomorrow. I have
already seen killdeer hop around on the newly flattened ground. The past
two nights, I heard the whip-poor-will in that area. I walked down a
street in the area until I heard the bird whippoorwilling it up loudly
in a treed area between two houses being constructed. Yesterday I went
out and heard the bird somewhat farther south and east of where he was
on Monday, but I could still hear the insistent whippoorwilling. From a
distance this is a reminder of mild summer nights, but if I lived next
door to one, I imagine I would find it annoying.

Oh, yes, a squirrel tried to get on our hummingbird feeder. Why he
wanted to get there, I don't know. No hummingbirds yet, but we did see
female finches feed from the feeder.

Jim Blowers