[va-richmond-general] Re: Highland County

  • From: "Peters, Jeanette" <jeanette.peters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:07:09 -0400

I hope that we are, however slowly, growing out of the "Thou Shalt
Breed" mentality. There is still a lot of pressure --especially on
women-- to have kids or more than one kid, regardless of our personal
inclinations. It takes a strong person who knows her own mind to stand
up against the societal messages that say we are made whole only by
having a baby (or two, or three, or...). If we want to see rational
population maintenance, the first step is validating lifestyles that
include one or no children, at least of the biological variety. Instead
of condemning the child-free or parents of one child as "selfish," we as
a society need to start accepting --and dare I day, thanking-- people
who make these decisions. They make everyone else's lives richer in the
long-term (better student/teacher ratios, less traffic congestion), and
leave more habitat for our non-human neighbors.

Best regards,
Jeanette Peters