[va-richmond-general] Re: Highland County

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:42:37 -0400

Thanks for the information, Chris. I just did some figuring. The US has
3.7 million square miles and consumes 105 quadrillion btu of energy each
year with its power grid. That is 3510 gigawatt-years per year or 3510
gigawatts. Each 400-foot tower generates 2 megawatts. This means that if
all our electricity was from wind, we would need 1.7 million towers, or
one each 2 square miles. They may seem ugly, but so are aerial power
lines and cell phone towers - could cell phone companies use wind
turbines for their transmitters? And not all our energy is going to come
from wind, anyway. But 2 square miles is about the size of a large
development - how about a law requiring that each new development of a
certain size build a wind turbine to provide electricity for it? That
would stop developments dead in their tracks and preserve a lot of bird
habitats!

You say energy requirements are going to grow, but they can't grow
beyond a certain limit. We would eventually run out, even if all of our
energy sources were renewable. Corporations need to get growth out of
their mindsets. The ultimate growth rate is zero.

By the way, NIMBY is "not in my backyard". In other words, we need
renewable energy such as wind, but not in my back yard, not in Hal's
back yard, not in Sally's, not in Mark's, not in Jim's, and so forth and
so forth. So where do we put it? On the moon?

Jim Blowers