[va-richmond-general] Re: Highland County

  • From: "Chris Terrell" <cterrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:34:42 -0400

Denmark gets a full quarter of their electricity from wind turbines.  While
Virginia can never hope to reach that number (due to the fact that we don't
have enough sustained high-wind resources like the Skaggerak offers) wind
power is a viable _supplement_ to our power grid.

I can't speak for Highland County, but my this sounds like NIMBY if I have
ever heard it.

We are an industrial society, there's no escaping that.  If you visited
Highland County to protest the wind turbines you almost certainly drove
there.  If you are reading this message you are getting your power from
somewhere.  Perhaps a coal fired plant, perhaps nuclear.  When you go to
work tomorrow you will consume energy on the way there, while there, and on
the way home.  And then you'll consume some more.

The point is it matters not how green you are in your politics, the simple
truth of the matter is we first-world humans consume a lot of energy and our
energy requirements are both real and growing.  I agree completely with
Irene that the population is entirely too large, but unless one wishes to
both shut the borders and enforce a reduced population (not very American
ideals) the energy needs for the state of Virginia will continue to grow for
the foreseeable future.  That's a reality that WILL be dealt with in one way
or another.

The question becomes then, how to provide this energy?  And I'm here to say
if you want a quick and flip answer, forget it.  There are no easy
solutions.

Nuclear?  The obvious Chernobyl factor - even more NIMBY
Coal?  Cleaner than before, hardly clean
Hydro?  Clean but already mostly tapped, and many greens aren't terribly
fond of it either
Oil?  We import 51% of our oil already, and the supplies are finite
Ethanol - Bio-diesel?  Hard to produce in sufficient quantities, and
produces it's own pollution via agricultural pollution.
Solar?  Years away, and expensive to develop and deploy.
Wind?  Limited resources, some consider an eyesore (but power lines are just
fine for some reason)

Bottom line, hard choices have to be made.  It's very easy to grouse about
what's wrong and pawn our energy needs off on somebody else, it's a whole
lot harder to offer a VIABLE solution.

Thanks for the info Jim.  Some of us on this list are with you.

Chris Terrell
Chesterfield County