[va-richmond-general] Heron Rookery Problem

  • From: leeanna pletcher <thebuttons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Audubon Richmond <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:22:50 -0500

Audubon members,
I wanted to bring to your attention the problem I have encountered at the blue
heron rookery.  I met an artist who has scavenged bones from the island, I
supposed illegally.
She has used them for art projects, and it seems she has good intentions,
though I think the bones should be left alone.Are the bones protected? Is there
any signage down there if someone were to swim over to the island? I think a
few strongly worded signs placed on either side of the islandcould dissuade an
individual from entering and collecting there.
What bothers me the most is that the artist described piles of bones under the
nests, I am guessing from juveniles that fell. Is there currently anyone
monitoring mortality at the rookery?
Thanks for your attention to this matter, and any ideas would be welcome.
Leeanna PletcherEcologist
Adjunct FacultyDepartment of BiologyVirginia Commonwealth University