[va-richmond-general] Henslow's Sparrow at Bandy Field

  • From: Arun Bose <arunbose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, VA Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:30:25 -0400

Hello VA birders,
After seeing numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers outside my office window in the
late morning I made a lunch time visit to Bandy Field in the City of
Richmond today, between 12:15 and 12:50.

It was quite birdy from the start, and as I was making my way back to my car
I walked by the small wetland area one more time. As I did so I flushed a
small bird that flew ahead of me a perched in some low branches. I was able
to watch it for about 10 minutes quite well. I remained quite still when
perched. When it flew back down the long grass I walked over to were it had
landed. Pished a little without luck, before it flew up again virtually from
my feet back to the same branches.

It was clearly an Ammodramus; relatively large billed with and a large flat
headed appearance.  I was able to note the following field marks. Olive
tones dominated the head and sides of the neck. A lighter central crown
stripe on an otherwise dark brownish crown. Dark eye stripe that followed
the edge of the auriculars, becoming more pronounced at the corner.
Olive/buff supercillium. Thin pale eye ring.

The upper most part of the breast was lightly streaked on a buffish ground
color. The flanks were more markedly streaked dark brown but did not extend
onto the belly.

The back was quite striking (in a subtle way). Large dark brown centers to
the mantle and coverts with thin crisp pale edges on either side that did
not reach the tip. Wings were very stubby.

Legs were pinkish. This bird had no tail.

I consulted Birds of North America Online which confirmed my suspicions as
to the identity of the bird as Henlsow's Sparrow. I have only seen one
before this.

I returned with Adam D'Onofrio at around 5 to look again. I left at around
5:30 without seeing it again, but Adam called later to say he had
unsatisfactory views of a likely candidate for the bird. Given the rain it
is likely to remain at least over night. It is tricky to get to grips with
but you might get lucky.

Bandy Field Park is located off Hanover Avenue and Three Chopt Road or one
block east of Patterson and Three Chopt Road (main entrance is three blocks
east).

Other birds at Bandy today (highlights)

Chipping Sparrow 40-50
Field Sparrow 5