[va-richmond-general] Henricus/Dutch Gap RAS trip today

  • From: Al Warfield <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Audubon Listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:42:02 -0400

The turnout for the scheduled field trip (6/28/03) was 7, all Audubon members.
Sorry, no converts today! Nevertheless, the weather cooperated - it was cool,
and there were only 142 drops of rain - I counted them! The gate is now
programmed to open at exactly 7:00 a.m. We followed most of the announced path
except that we didn't take the side trip through the wooded trail due to wet
conditions. We did go to the banding area.
43 species were recorded. Here are some highlights:
At the bird banding area (no banding was set up) we were watching a Brown
Thrasher on a dead tree, and then it took off. Some of us followed it with
binoculars, and saw a Ruby-troated Hummingbird chasing it.  There were lots of
Field Sparrows, especially along the road by the flyash pond in the first mile.
Blue Grosbeaks were visible on several occasions. Indigo Buntings were almost
as numerous and obvious as the Common Grackles. Several Orchard and a few
Baltimore Orioles were seen, including at least one juvenile Baltimore. Downy
and Red-bellied Woodpeckers were seen.

Prothonotary, Yellow-rumped, and Yellow Warblers, and American Redstarts were
also seen. There were several good looks at Common Yellowthroats, which were
numerous in several areas. Noisy Yellow-breasted Chats were heard at the
banding area, and we saw at least one.

Wrapping up the list were Cedar Waxwings, lots of American Goldfinches, a pair
of Ospreys, Great Blue and Green Herons, a Wild Turkey, two looks at a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, a Willow Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe,
Red-eyed Vireos, Tree and Northern Rough-winged Swallows, and other common
species. For 3 hours of late June birding, it was not bad at all!

Al & Linda Warfield