[va-richmond-general] Henricus/Dutch Gap 9/22

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 01:24:02 +0000

We had great turnout at today's Richmond Audubon bird walk at Henricus/Dutch
Gap Conservation Area, both in terms of birders and birds.

Two Pied-billed Grebes and a pair of Wood Ducks in the marsh were a nice start
to the day. The most active area was the point and the trail down to the
fishing dock. We're in the midst of Fall migration, so warblers and other
migrating passerines were the focus today. In this area, we found
Black-and-White Warbler, American Redstart, Northern Parula (many), Magnolia
Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Palm Warbler, Pine Warbler, Yellow-Throated Warbler,
Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a Scarlet Tanager (female). There were half a dozen
Caspian Terns foraging over the river, along with Laughing and Ring-billed
Gulls. We got nice looks at a pair of perched adult Bald Eagles, and an adult
and a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker were a surprise as we walked back toward
the parking lot. This area has historically been hospitable for Red-headed
Woodpeckers, but outside one reported flyover in the parking lot about a year
ago, it has been quite some time since this species has been seen regularly.

Things were a bit quieter on the trail behind the visitor center, but there was
one big surprise - two Sora calling from the lagoon. This species had been
heard on the marsh side back in April - it looks like they're on their way back
through.

Thanks to Betsy Saunders for organizing the walk, and to Ellison Orcutt for
helping out with some of those "confusing fall warblers".

Complete list is below.

Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area, Chesterfield, US-VA
Sep 22, 2012 7:55 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
60 species

Canada Goose  40
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  3
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  2
Black Vulture  8
Turkey Vulture  8
Osprey  3
Bald Eagle  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Sora  2     Heard only, both the whinny and other call notes.
Killdeer  1
Laughing Gull  20
Ring-billed Gull  1
Caspian Tern  6