[va-richmond-general] Henricus/Dutch Gap, 12/7/2008

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:19:09 -0500

I was joined by five hardy birders for the walk at Henricus Park/Dutch Gap Conservation Area on Sunday. The predicted show didn't amount to much, and the day was sunny and brisk, especially after the wind picked up.

The marsh area had a nice complement of ducks. We found Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwall, Northern Shovelers and Mallards in good numbers, with a few American Wigeon scattered in, as well as one female Wood Duck and one American Coot. A bumper crop of Eastern Bluebirds were flitting around the marsh as well, observed by a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks perched on the same branch, just a few trees over from a Cooper's Hawk.

The trail back into Dutch Gap was much quieter. We did find a few Yellow-rumped Warblers, Song Sparrows and White-throated Sparrows. The lagoon Kingfisher showed up as usual, and we were treated to immature and adult Bald Eagles soaring. As we hiked out, we were visited by a Kestrel on the fence-line and had a swift overflight by an Osprey.

The most interesting experience of the day (and also the grisliest -- the faint of heart may want to skip to the trip list at the end of this message) was evidence of a hearty meal enjoyed by one of our avian friends. On the left-hand side of the trail between the Twin Rock Spur and the fork leading to the new bridge, we found a drift of gray feathers, presumably the leavings of a hawk or owl who had used the branch just overhead as a perch to consume a sizeable meal. We eventually noticed, suspended ("like a Christmas ornament," noted one young member of the group) by a thread of sinew in a bare bush, the intact head of the victim, which appeared to be a Green Heron. The kill appeared to be very fresh, as the eyes had not clouded.

The complete trip list is below.

Lewis Barnett

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     12/7/08
Number of species:     35

Canada Goose     12
Wood Duck     1