[va-richmond-general] Henricus/Dutch Gap 11/4/12

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 19:42:25 +0000

I got a wild hair after breakfast and headed down to Henricus/Dutch Gap to see
what might have shown up. There are still some nice fall colors, though many
trees are looking a bit bare after the storm at the beginning of the week. The
morning was overcast, but there was a fair amount of activity. Best birds of
the day were a trio of Redheads in the fly ash pond, hanging out with a couple
of Ring-necked Ducks and four Ruddy Ducks, and a flock of around 25 Rusty
Blackbirds at the marsh. The only other ducks I found were Mallards. Had a nice
flock of six or eight Savannah Sparrows on the Dutch Gap fenceline, hanging out
with Bluebirds and Yellow-rumped Warblers (the latter were numerous).  Heard
one Pine Siskin. The rest were the expected crowd - full list below.
Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area, Chesterfield, US-VA
Nov 4, 2012 9:15 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Location is within the Lower James River IBA.
42 species

Canada Goose  240
Mallard  35
Redhead  3
Ring-necked Duck  2
Ruddy Duck  4
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron  2
Black Vulture  8
Turkey Vulture  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
American Coot  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  2
Eastern Phoebe  2
American Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  16
American Robin  1
Northern Mockingbird  4
European Starling  25
Cedar Waxwing  60
Yellow-rumped Warbler  16
Savannah Sparrow  8
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  14
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  45
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Rusty Blackbird  23
Pine Siskin  1
American Goldfinch  16

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/VA)You
are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to