[va-richmond-general] Henricus Trip May 25

  • From: Al Warfield <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Audubon Listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:20:06 -0400

Henricus/Dutch Gap, May 25, 2002

On a beautiful Saturday morning in late May, 11 birders showed up to take
advantage of the abundance of bird species at one of RAS' favorite birding
sites. We took the boardwalk path, and then retraced our steps through the
Citie of Henricus back to the parking lot and along the road running by the
marsh. We saw or heard a total of 36 species in about 2 ½ hours of very
leisurely birding. Two birders from South Africa, who got information on the
trip via the RAS web site, walked with us. Highlights included a family of
Pileated Woodpeckers near the boardwalk, several families of Canada Geese
walking along the road, some surprised Great Blue Herons when we reached their
perches overlooking the river, lots of Wood Ducks in trees, and two perched
hummers. We had good looks at White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireos, an Acadian
Flycatcher, a pair pf Eastern Phoebes, a Red-shouldered Hawk soaring overhead,
a Common Yellowthroat and several Prothonotary Warblers. We also saw a Yellow
Warbler, a Blue Grosbeak, and an Indigo Bunting on the ground in the restored
area. He was eating seeds from grasses, and would occasionally jump up to
dislodge more seeds. The effect was that of a blue thing bobbing up and down at
regular intervals. Overall the trip was very enjoyable.

Al Warfield

Here is the trip list. If there are additions, please post a reply:

Great Egret

Great Blue Heron

Canada Goose

Wood Duck